I’ve been noticing from last few weeks that a lot of my readers who adds their intelligent OPINIONS in my posts by leaving a comment don’t have a Gravatar to get their image next to their comments yet.
Even most people still don’t know what is Gravatar and how to get their photos up there.
Gravatar is a free online service that automatically adds your photo next to the comments you leave everywhere on the web, be it a blog, discussion forums, online groups or other places around the web.
A little image that you upload to a certain email address, and ones you’ve done that you’ll get that little image next to your name when you leave a comment on a Gravatar enabled blog or website.
Just like responding to every comment on your blog and redirecting first time commentators to a thank you page, this little silly image is also very important that can help you to build your brand and authority around the web.
If you’re still confused on how to get a Gravatar, you’ll find some tips on how to get a Gravatar at the bottom of the post.
If you already use a Gravatar image to your comments. Hopefully this post will give you some advanced and extra hints to consider.
Why Gravatar is important?
- It helps you build trust: The main idea behind creating Gravatar.com is to let people see the faces behind when they read thoughts through comments, because people get curious when they read something interesting or some praising words, they wish to know who said that how he/she looks. Even when you split something bad, people will wish to see your face.
- It helps you build your brand: People who visit your blog often times start to become familiar with the image there (whether It’s you, your company or your product), so having a Gravatar image helps you build your brand and let’s others know that It’s you when you leave a comment somewhere.
- It helps in building relationships: Having your photo next to your comments makes you stand out from the others out there. At first you and your Gravatar might not get much attention, When I see your face constantly commenting on my blog, I get to know you more, and probably end up by visiting your website. Others readers can see the person behind the comment, and It’s very important for building relationship with other bloggers.
- It helps you develop authority: Sometimes a picture is enough to pique people’s curiosity. If you are someone who leaves quality and helpful comments (I’m looking at you Adrienne, Sapna, Shahzad, Raplus, Zion, Greg and all) and people see excellent comments left by you, they’ll start to see you as an expert in the specific niche.
- It helps you increase your traffic: This is also useful If you’re a small blogger and commenting on other blogs is a part of your traffic strategy, because people are more likely to click on your link If they see who’s commenting.
What should I use in my Gravatar?
What should you use in your Gravatar is extremely important because this is the image that will represent you, help you build your brand and introduce you around the web, so having a right Gravatar that grabs people’s attention and let’s people know who is the commentator after viewing the Gravatar image is must.
Most bloggers and webmasters prefer to use their own photo for their Gravatar, just like I do which is well. It’s just like a way of introducing myself around the web, so If you want to represent yourself as a blogger, marketer or anything else you do online – you’d go with a photo of yourself.
Or If you’re representing your company or product, you may want to use a company logo/icon or image of your product.
But, If you’re not going to product recognition specifically, I’d stick to photo.
How to get a Gravatar?
Okay, now you know how important it is to have a Gravatar image next to your name.
So, what should you do to get a Gravatar? It’s pretty easy. Go to Gravatar website, sign up, and then upload your photo (This could be a picture of yourself, a company logo or something unique). Make sure you use the same email address to sign up and to upload your photo that you use around the web for comments. If you’d like to use more than one email address, you can add them later onto the same account.
That’s all. You have to do it one time, It’s like set it and forget it only till you change it yourself.
If you still need help in setting up a Gravatar, post a comment below!
Some Gravatar tips to make it memorable and BRANDED:
There are a lot of things that you can do to get your comments noticed, and make your Gravatar memorable and branded. Below are a few tips that you can apply.
- Your Gravatar image will be your representation on the web, so don’t hesitate to invest some money to hire a PROFESSIONAL photographer to get some very good head shots from different angles, so that you can find a best one amongst them to use.
- If you can’t afford to pay to a professional photographer, than spend sometime on getting some good shots or you should get some of your friends or family to do it for you, and than tweak it a little bit on PHOTOSHOP to make it more appealing.
- If you’re using your own photo, this will be your introduction, a kind of “Hey, I’m Ehsan (aka the founder of the Guide to Blogging community)” so make sure choose a photo where people can see your face well.
- If you’re looking to establish a long term identity on the web, try to represent yourself as a lively and energetic person in your photo. There’s no need to be overly animated.
- Don’t use UNRECOGNIZABLE and low quality photograph. If you’re that shy of using your own photo, go with a LOGO of avatar of your blog. I’ve also been noticing a lot of members of the community using using random photographs from the web which is not good from many perspectives.
- Do not hesitate to use your logo as a Gravatar. As I said above that there’s a big movement in the blogging world about showing your real face to people, and If you’re that shy of using your own photo, then you can use your logo to represent your site just like Ileane from BasicBlogTips.com and Glen from ViperChill.com does.
That’s not all obviously. Leave me your comment below If you have anything of your own Gravatar tips or If you think I’ve missed anything.
So get a Gravatar Today:
What are you waiting for? Pop over to Gravatar website and get one now If you haven’t yet. Then come back here and leave a comment below to see the live demo of gravatar in action.
Hope to see some new faces in comments section.