Do you build a plan before launching a new blog? No?
Successful blogs always create a blog plan, and It’s important to give your blog a path to follow.
Planning is like a road map that gives you a right path to follow. It’s important not only in blogging, but in everything you do in your life.
Unlike most of the bloggers who blog randomly and hope for the success, successful bloggers always know what they should do to get what they want.
They always outline the strategies, propose the tactics, and list the tasks to be done to achieve their goals. In other words, they plan to success.
If you want a complete guide to planning out a successful blog, than you’ve come to the right place. This post covers everything you need to do, and know before launching a new blog.
If you’re new to blogging and want to begin, I’d strongly recommend bookmarking this post for future reference because you’ll need it.
Why You Should Plan a Blog?
Rather than randomly blogging day to day, a blog plan, like a business plan is REALLY important to give your blog a path to follow.
Planning a blog will definitely help you get your blog on the right track, and help you plan where your blog will go after one or two years from now.
There are a lot of benefits that planning will provide for bloggers, so you shouldn’t skip this step when launching a new blog.
Below are a few reasons on why you should plan a blog.
- Getting your blog on the right track:
Is your blog going on the right direction?
I hope It is, otherwise you’re going to waste a lot of time.
Blogging is like a long journey, and you’re likely to go on a wrong way. Therefor, a blog plan will help you get your blog on the right.
As I said above that a blog plan is like a road map, and will help your blog go in the right direction. When you have a plan, you’ll know how far you are form your destination, and how much you’ve already progressed.
Further reading: Is Your Blog on the Right Track?
- Finding your blog voice:
Who are you and why are you uniquely qualified to write this blog? Why should I read your blog?
A blog plan will help you find your blogging voice, which is a secret ingredient to a successful blogging. Something only you can bring to the table that will make your blog unforgettable.
- Anticipate the challenges:
Planning will help you overcome the obstacles, anticipate the challenges and risks that might happen in your blogging journey.
It will give you power to fight with obstacles, and find solutions to solve your problems to help you go on the right path.
- Determine your goals:
A blog plan will help you determine your goals for future, and help you to work out why you’re blogging. Is it purely for ego or self expression? To make money? Or to share your thoughts with the world? Planning will help you determine it.
- Gaining the trust:
If you plan a blog before launching, you’ll be able to show the capacity that you’ll be a successful blogger. People will know your blog’s vision, therefor you’re gaining the trust of people.
Further reading: 5 Ways to Gain the Trust of Your Readers
Okay, enough of the benefits of planning a blog. Now let me show you how to build a blog plan.
How to Build a Blog Plan?
Here I’ll list some of the most important things that you need to know before starting a blog. They might make all the difference.
If I missed any point, just drop a comment below and let me know about it.
1. Find Your Passion:
True passion really makes a huge difference in blogging.
There’s not a blogger in the blogospher (world) who became successful blogging about something he/she hates or isn’t passionate about.
You have to be knowledgeable and passionate about the topic you’re going to blog about, so that you can provide quality content with real experiences to your readers.
So how to find my passion? You may ask.
Just think about the things you really enjoy doing in your life and start blogging about it. For instance, I’m passionate about blogging and soccer, but I also love adding value to people’s life, so I blog about blogging.
Some people are passionate about more than one thing, so they blog about too many things which stretches them thin.
Blogging about too many things will confuse your readers and It makes it tough for them to realize what they can get from your blog.
If you’re also passionate about more than one things (like me), just blog about the one you can write the most on.
Be just abroad enough to have plenty to write about, but narrow enough to stay within your niche.
Further reading: Do you blog about the topic which you love?
2. Plan Your Goals:
Don’t fail to realize the importance of having goals for your blog.
A goal is a plan of what you want to achieve with your blog within a specific period of time which you must set. It will help you go in the right direction, and it can be used as a measure of success.
A couple of months ago I submitted a guest post to Basic Blog Tips about taking baby steps towards your blogging goals for success where I’ve written about how new bloggers could benefit more by setting some realistic short term goals.
Below are some of the examples of short-term blogging goals that I’d suggest every upcoming blogger set.
- Publish 20 quality posts
- Work on the design of your blog and make it stand out
- Get your first 100 real Twitter followers and fans to your Facebook fan page
- Leave 20 comments on other blogs in your niche for engagement
- Build a readership with more than 20 readers a day
- Do your first guest post on another blog in your niche
- And hit the level of 100 unique visitor a day
And remember that faith without work is nothing, so put hard work to achieve your goals.
3. Find your Target Audience:
Before thinking of launching a new blog, ask yourself:
- Why does my blog exist?
- Who will read my blog?
- What makes me special?
You have to know everything about your target audience, where they live, what they do and what they like. You’ll know all it by doing a quick research about your audience and competitors, and by pulling up to Google and searching for “Best blogs about ________” (Your topic of choice in the blank space).
Prepare yourself to serve the needs of your audience and do better than other bloggers in your niche to achieve success, and to stand out from the crowd.
4. Think Up of a Good Domain Name:
Domain names are the addresses on the web. It’s the first and most important step of building a successful blog.
A good domain name plays a huge role in everyone’s internet presence, so here are some tips to help you think of a good domain name for your blog.
- Easy to type and remember domain: You’ll lose the value of your blogging, branding and marketing If your blog’s domain name is difficult to type and remember due to It’s unremembered words, length or spelling.
- Get a .com, .net or .org domain: If you want to be a successful blogger over long time, than It’s best to choose a .com, .net or .org domain, because these are the best and high standard ones.
- Include keywords: Including one or two keywords in your domain name is a smart thing. Just brainstorm some top keywords related to your topic, or you can do it using the Google Adwords Keywords tool. Enter your main keyword in the “Keywords or phrase box” and hit the “Search” button. It will display a huge list of keyword ideas for the topic with It’s global and local monthly searches, where you can choose one which has good monthly searches with low competition.
Further reading: 10 Awesome Tips to Choose a Good Domain Name
Now If you’ve found a great domain name, It’s time to actually install your blog and It’s three step process:
- Register your domain name
- Get the best hosting (I use and recommend Bluehost, read my ultimate Bluehost review to find out why)
- Install your WordPress blog
5. Build a Content Plan:
If you’ve been blogging for any amount of time, you’ve probably heard the term “content is king”.
And It’s true, content is definitely the king because an SEO optimized blog with a beautiful design will fail without quality content.
So you must build a content plan for your blog, and ask yourself a few questions before starting your new blog.
- What type of content will I provide to my readers to stand out from other blogs in my niche? (Text content, video content, audio content, interviews, case-studies or reviews?)
- Where will I find blog post ideas for my blog? (Other blogs, comments, search engines or online magazines?)
- How often will I update my blog? (Daily, twice a week, weekly or monthly?) Determine your posting frequency.
6. Monetizing Plan:
If you hope to generate income from your blog, you’ll need to address how you’ll monetize your blog and build a monetizing plan.
You can skip this step If your aim is not to make money from your blog.
It is also very important to think of the ways you’ll be using to make money from your blog before launching.
How will you monetize your blog? What ways will you choose do monetize your blog? When will you start monetizing your blog? From beginning or after you start getting thousand pageviews daily?
You need to answer all of the above questions in order to build a successful monetizing plan.
7. Marketing Plan:
In order to take your blog to the high level, you also need to build a marketing plan because no matter how great content you have on your blog, It can never walk up the right people on It’s own.
Now to build a successful marketing plan, ask yourself:
- What social media websites will I choose to promote my blog? Facebook, Twitter, Google+, StumbleUpon or all?
- How many guest posts will I do in my first three months of blogging journey?
- How many comments will I leave daily? one, five, ten or twenty?
- Will I join the online forums to promote your blog?
Congrats! You’ve read it all and I hope you learned how to build a successful blog plan before beginning.
I think now It’s time to send you over to my ultimate guide to starting a blog.
If you think I missed a valuable point above, kindly let me know by posting a comment below.